Tuesday, May 12, 2015

the no facebook experiment

A Funny little thing happened about a week and a half ago. I deactivated my Facebook account. I knew that I spent too much time on it, especially in the morning, but I didn't truly realise how much until I was no longer on it. now don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful tool to keep up with friends and family and connect with your community, but I was addicted. Also, trying to keep up with everyone from every walk of your life is exhausting. Yes, many of them are wonderful and have much to share from  their life experiences, but what are the chances that I will ever see them again? And if I am fortunate enough to see them again, we will have plenty to talk about with me not following their every move online. After I deactivated my account, another funny thing happened, something that I had experienced once before, when we took text messaging off of my phone plan, people started to call, and we had real conversations. I had to call people if I wanted information on something or to say hello. We have since made a new family account and are slowly adding family members and a few close friends, and I will reactivate my account briefly from time to time to see picture of new babies and the like, but I am thoroughly enjoying not being connected all day everyday to everyone. Why not give it a try? Even for a week. It feels great and who knows, it might just lead to more time spent together with your family, and maybe some more outdoor time!

No comments:

Post a Comment