Monday, March 3, 2014

Button Birthday Dress

So we were invited to a party and told that the birthday girl loved frilly dresses. It was almost like they were asking me to make something (in my own mind lol).  And so, this is what I came up with:


Wait, what?!? Pajama pants, scrubs and stained shirts? Really? What can I say, Sophie's been into darker colours lately and most of my stash is actually adult clothing rescued from the donation bag. I'd have preferred to buy new fabric since this was a gift but that wasn't in that weeks budget. Don't worry though, it all worked out for the best. See?


Cheerful ruffles galore!

Doesn't that just make you happy? Or am I just getting antsy for spring over here?

It's kind of a franken-dress pattern wise. I started with a basic A-line dress pattern I had out from another project. I used it to reference the length and for part of the bodice pattern but since I was making that out of the top of an existing shirt I ended up modifying it.  The underskirt is a different tank top that I added to the plan later. The hearts shirt had stains along the lower part that I hoped the ruffles would cover. When I was placing them I realized they wouldn't be completely hidden. Realistically the only person who would ever notice would be whoever does her laundry but I figured a gift deserved higher standards than a refashion for my own kids so we went like this:



I'll also admit that the row of buttons is covering the fact that the top seam didn't want to line up quite as tidily as I'd have liked. The whole mixing fabric types thing. (The dress is jersey and the ruffles are cotton.)


I attached the ruffles using the method from this pattern: http://www.etsy.com/listing/82318775/ruffle-dress-pdf-pattern?ref=shop_home_feat (Sew Fab Pattern Bundle strikes again!) The actual pattern instructions use an existing t-shirt or onesie so if you like the look but don't want to be drafting a top you can do it much more easily that I did. I'm not looking to complicate my life I swear, it was just a use-what-you've-got project and a brand new size 5 t-shirt didn't happen to be waiting for me in my refashion pile ;)

P.S. Did you notice that I used my brilliant computer skills to figure out how to post as myself? I know, it's like I'm a rocket scientist or something. Now I can stop impersonating my sister. Unless you were planning on sending her cupcakes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment